Why not join Hereford Hospital Radio as a volunteer and help support the charity and our listeners?
Before you apply, make sure you have the time available to help out and can also make your way to the studios.
If you give an email address, we will respond by email. Please make sure it is a valid address and that you check your inbox regularly.
If you apply, you will be invited to an informal Meet and Greet meeting with our Personnel Manager, who will run through the information about the station and will answer any questions you may have.
If both the station and the volunteer are happy, you must be cleared by a Criminal Records Bureau check, which will take several weeks to process. If you do not hold British nationality, we may not be able to complete this check.
A Right to Work check is also needed to meet immigration regulations. We will hold your membership details on a computer database, in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
You must be at least 16 years old to apply, and if you are under 17 you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who also has to go through the security checks with the station, (however these are made very welcome!).
You will be asked to pay £30 if you are a broadcasting member (presenting your own show and presenting at outdoor events) or £10 if you are joining as a non-broadcasting member.
If you are cleared, then you may begin your training with one of our regular presenters, who will show you the way around the system and then give you a slot before their show.
You are guaranteed to have lots of fun and you will learn a lot, you will feel like a professional within weeks!
Becoming a new member
In order to become a member of Hereford Hospital Radio, you must agree to our terms and conditions.
Please note: if you become a presenter or committee member for the station, you are also required to agree to a Presenter and/or Committee Agreement. This volunteer agreement is for ALL members and describes the arrangement between Hereford Hospital Radio and you. Volunteering for HHR is a unique and exciting experience and we will do the best we can to ensure your time with us is enjoyable and rewarding. Volunteers are an important and valued part of HHR. This agreement highlights what you can expect from HHR, and what we hope from you. HHR aims to be flexible, so please let us know if you have any questions or queries along the way.
Part One – HHR will…
- Provide a thorough induction of the work of HHR, its staff, your volunteering role and the training you need to meet the responsibilities of this role.
- Explain the standards we expect from our volunteers and will encourage and support you to achieve and maintain these standards.
- Discuss with you your volunteering and any successes or problems.
- Provide adequate training and feedback in support of our health and safety policies.
- Provide adequate insurance cover for volunteers whilst undertaking work approved and authorised by us.
- Ensure that all our volunteers are dealt with in accordance with our equal opportunities policies.
- Try and resolve any problems, grievances and difficulties you may have whilst you volunteer with us. In the event of an unresolved problem HHR commits to offer an opportunity to discuss the issues in accordance with relevant procedures.
Part Two – I, as the volunteer, will…
- Help HHR fulfill its commitments as outlined by the Management Committee and the HHR strategy.
- Perform my role to the best of my ability.
- Follow the organisation’s procedures and standards including health and safety and equal opportunities in relation to its staff, the volunteers and its stakeholders.
- Keep the information of HHR and its clients confidential.
- Meet time commitments and standards, except in exceptional circumstances and give reasonable notice where other arrangements need to be made.
- Provide referees where necessary and agree to any checks that are required.
- Attend training days and inductions as necessary to fulfil my role.
- When in a volunteering capacity, I will behave responsibly and represent HHR respectively.
I agree to notify the relevant committee member of any absence and to give reasonable notice of my intention to leave. This agreement is binding in honour only, is not intended to be a legally binding contract between us and may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party.
By clicking continue you are agreeing to be bound by our terms and conditions.